Sunday, October 17, 2010

I RAN a 5K!

Really! No kidding! Probably no one is more shocked than I am. Considering I have never been the running type. :) For the past 6 months or so (off and on) I have been trying to run. I definitely need to become more consistent with it...but hey, baby steps.
There are lots of smaller race events around this time of year. I chatted with a few friends and decided I would sign up for a 5k. I wasn't really "prepared" - since the most I had ever run without stopping was 2 miles. I just figured I would do my best. I wanted to run the whole distance and not have to walk.
So the day came, and it was COLD. 40 degrees. But I warmed up quickly:)
My parents were in town so Dad, Tim and Connell came to "cheer" us on! Mom and Emma were lucky enough to stay home in the warm, cozy house. Connell was concerned that we were running in the street and not on the sidewalk. It was fun (right?) or at least I felt really good and proud when I finished. I ran the whole way and couldn't have done it without my dear friend Shannon by my side. She was right there the entire way...very little talking except a "doing great" "you got it" every now and then. Near the end when I really wanted to stop and walk a while, she put her hand on my back and gave me a little push, and that kept me going! We finished in a little under 36 minutes. Our other running buddy, Stephanie, finished about 6 minutes ahead of us. You go!!!


Shannon, Stephanie, me
Got a little hug before the race started:) I think he was really still asleep.
waving to my little buddy


Grandpa and Connell
Almost finished...
The completion of my (& Shannon's) first 5K!!!! Now to sign up for another race...maybe???!!!

1 comment:

Erika said...

This is great Sarah! Congratulations and way to go by sticking it out thru the entire race. Glad you had a running buddy. Great effort!