Monday, June 14, 2010

ChooChoo!

We are on the road again! Seems like we are NEVER home lately! But what memories we are making...

Our dear friend (who I've known almost all my life) Barb Dees (Katie and Abby's mom) works for BNSF Railroad in Memphis. A few months ago, she told us that they were going to be having a special trainride for friends/family of the employees. They only do this once every 8 years or so. We hit the good timing on this one! She was able to get tickets for all of us, and my parents, and Katie and Andy too. Gus stayed home with his Grandma and Emma came along for the ride.

We didn't tell Connell what we were going to Memphis for until we were on I-40 headed west. It just made it more exciting and that way, we didn't have to answer the "when are we riding choo choo" question a million times. We gave him a really neat train book in the truck and told him we were going to ride a big train. He was excited, but I don't think he really "got it" until we got to the trainyard and he saw the train.

It was really neat! We rode across the Mississippi River witha great view of downtown Memphis, over to Marion, Arkansas and back. It was about two and a half hours, which was perfect. They gave lots of snacks and goodies, which Connell thoroughly enjoyed. He apparently also enjoyed the bathroom on the train...he needed to potty about 20 times. What is it with kids and bathrooms???!!!


Waiting to board the train

Katie & Andy



Downtown Memphis



Mesmerized!


Barb, thank you so much for arranging everything for us! We all had a blast! Connell told me today "I don't like our house. I want to go live on that choochoo we rode." It's too bad he doesn't like our house :) but I am so glad he got to experience the train!!!
I will do a separate post of our other activities while we were in Memphis.

No comments: