Thursday, March 10, 2011

(Non) Training Update

Since the end of February would mark two months into my training for the Music City Half marathon (scheduled for 4/30), I was planning to do a training update post. So here I am writing that post, and sufficed to say, it's not going like I really wanted or planned.

Here is a picture of my left leg. I have a tibial stress fracture. Towards the end of January I started to have pain which I thought was a shin splint. I was slowing increasing my miles, and not over-doing it, running 3 times a week. It really didn't bother me at all while I was running, but would hurt afterwards. Early in February I went back to Fleet Feet and spoke to them about my pain. It was decided that I needed some pricey inserts for my pricey running shoes. I rested for a week and started to run again. Still in pain. I iced. I stretched. I was actually beginning to limp a bit after my runs and started to worry if my race would be a reality.

Tim and I and my doctor (the physician Tim works with) decided an xray was in order and it came back normal. But I had already learned online that a stress fracture doesn't always show up on a regular xray. I rested for 10 days and by the 7th day, it finally started to feel better. So I ran 4 miles (2/20). I wasn't hurting during the run, but within the hour of finishing, I knew I was in trouble. I iced and iced. Two days later I was barely able to walk. I headed back to the hospital on 2/25 for a bone scan and got the call a few hours later that I did have a stress fracture. They are common among runners, even more common in women. There are many things that could have caused it...it's likely that even though I started slow with low miles, it is just an "overuse" injury since I wasn't currently doing any working out and just "hit the ground running!"

This weekend, me and my running peeps should be running 6 miles. I am really missing running. There is NO running for me for at least 4 to 6 weeks. I am bummed and majorly disappointed. I know there are other races, but this was special for me since I was going to run my first half on Connell's 4th birthday. I was planning for my thoughts/memories of my little sweet boy's first four years to keep my mind occupied that morning. How about, what's harder? 13.1 miles or 22 hours of labor to meet my precious first-born?! ;-)

I will definitely sign up and hopefully be able to train for another race. A huge part of my disappointment is just that I am not able to run now that the weather is getting nice. I ran thru the two coldest months of the year and really would like to be out there enjoying this early spring weather. Also, for the first time in my adult life, I was ENJOYING exercise. I never made excuses to skip a run like I would always do with other workouts. Even on my 2, 3, or 4 mile runs, I would feel that "high" when I was finished.

In the meantime, I need to be riding a stationary bike or swimming. It's just taking me a little while to fix my attitude. Plus, this week, my leg is actually starting to feel a bit better. I got my aircast this week, and it seems to really be helping. Hopefully, in the future, I will be posting another running update, where I am actually running! So as far as April 30, I will focus on Connell and planning a fun and fab birthday celebration!!!

**sorry for my wordiness and lack of pics of my kids ;-)**

No comments: