Sunday, May 16, 2010

What's in a Name?

This post is really just for my memory...because I have this written on a scrap of paper, and I need it on this blog so I won't lose it. :)

I strongly believe that our children "fit" their names. I am sure many people wonder where we came up with Connell's name. Connell is Tim's father's and grandfather's middle name. Stanley was my grandfather (maternal). We decided loooonnnnng before we starting making babies that would be our boy's name. Funny thing is, we could never find Connell is any "babyname" book. I am sure in the motherland (haha) - Ireland - it was probably O'Connell at some point.
Well, at Target a while ago, we picked up a babyname book (don't be alarmed) and CONNELL was in there. It means "one who is high and mighty." Oh goodness. We have our work cut out for us (wink, wink).

And then there is sweet Emma. No family history there. Just a beautiful name that Tim and I came up with long before Rachel named her baby Emma on Friends and shot right to the top of the baby name list. But nonetheless, when we learned we were having a girl, there really didn't need to be much discussion. Emma Kathryn. Emma means "one who is complete; universal woman." She can be Emma O in school...as I am sure there will be plenty of Emmas around. But she is our Emma.

And, I feel I must also mention, the beautifully named "Tinklebell Reagan". When I was pregnant the very first time (before Connell) we lost the baby at 11 weeks. Tests later showed that it was a baby girl. We sort of already knew that, since Reagan (4 at the time) laid her head in my lap one evening and said it was a girl in my belly, and then gave her the above name. At that point in Reagan and Taylor's life, Tinkerbell was TINKLEBELL. Perfect. She has always been referred to with her sweet name. And always will. Connell pointed to a star in the sky the other night and said "that's Tinklebell Reagan's star."

No comments: